5 Tips On Making Ramadan Memorable For Your Muslim Colleagues
In the next few days, the month of Ramadan will be upon us and alot of your Muslim colleagues may be fasting in observance of the injunction by God Almighty:
“O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous”
Qur’an Chapter 2 Verse 183
All Muslims are to fast from dawn till sundown. In countries like Iceland, Norway, Russia and The Netherlands that will be around 19-22 hours of fasting. In Nigeria, we will be fasting around 14 hours like South Africa, Singapore and Malaysia.
How can you support your colleagues to make them have a memorable Ramadan?
I am sure you will be wondering how you can be careful not to offend your friends, family or colleagues while they are fasting. We have a few tips for you below:
- If you share an office with your colleague try not to eat all your delicious meals at your desk while leaving him/her salivating (If there is even enough moisture left in them)
- Ask them why he/she fast and try to learn sincerely.
- Don’t offer a bite of what you are eating as sometimes many can forget and take it out of error
- If you intend to invite him/her for a meal, always make it after sunset.
- Give them a gift with dates (Dabino) to break the fast (iftar)
- You can also try to fast for a day or more.
Ramadan is a month of fasting by day but also a month of praying at night. The beauty of the month is that it provides a perfect opportunity to increase piety and God Consciousness among those who sincerely fast.